Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Alpha Kappa Delta - Honor Society
Our degree program is associated with Alpha Kappa Delta, an international sociology honor society. As Winthrop was the first university in South Carolina to become associated with the honor society, our chapter is known as South Carolina Alpha.
The eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program of the host institution.
- Must be at least a junior (third year) by standards of the host institution.
- Must have accumulated the equivalent of an overall GPA of 3.0 (by a four point scale where: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0) and rank in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship
- Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses taken at the host institution prior to initiation.
- Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail).
For more information contact Dr. Tripp or look to the AKD Web site.