Location: Rock Hill, SC
Status: Public, co-ed.
Enrollment: Approximately 5,200 undergraduate and 1,400 graduate students
Winthrop began as a teacher training school for women, in a one-room building in Columbia, SC. In 1895, Winthrop changed locations, and found a home in Rock Hill, SC. Each brick was torn down and moved from Columbia to Rock Hill and is now known as the 'Little Chapel' on campus. In 1964, Winthrop became integrated, and in 1972, Winthrop became a co-ed institution by opening its doors to male students. Winthrop gained university status in 1992.
About our Music Department...
Chamber Wind Ensemble
Rock Hill Chamber Orchestra
Winthrop/Olde English Wind Ensemble
|Barnes Recital Hall||
The Frances May Barnes Recital Hall seats 210 and is utilized daily for classes, recitals, and small ensemble performances.
Byrnes is a 3500 seat auditorium which houses a 1955 Aeolian-Skinner organ signed by G. Donald Harrison. Byrnes is used for large ensemble performances and stage productions, the most recent of which was Gilbert and Sullivan's The Gondoliers. Before Winthrop became equipped with air conditioning, ice blocks were sent down the slopes of Byrnes Auditorium to keep the building cool.
|Computer Music Laboratory
Ron Parks, Director
The computer music lab houses 10 eMac computers, each equipped with a Korg X5D keyboard. These stations allow for music notation, digital audio editing, MIDI sequencing, and computer assisted instruction in music theory and aural skills, in addition internet access and word processing.