ARTICLE I NAME
Winthrop Chinese Student and Scholar Association (WCSSA)
ARTICLE II PURPOSE
The purpose of the organization shall be:
(1) to promote unity among Chinese students,
(2) to help members adapt to American society,
(3) to assist Winthrop University in recruitment and retention of Chinese students, and
(4) to learn American culture and to introduce Chinese culture to the community.
ARTICLE III MEMBERSHIP
(1) Membership in the organization shall be open to those regularly-enrolled Winthrop students who are from China.
(2) WCSSA welcomes non-voting members of visiting scholars, faculty, staff, Rock Hill community, and those regularly-enrolled students with all backgrounds.
ARTICLE IV OFFICERS & DUTIES
(1) The officers of WCSSA shall be President, Vice President (Academic), Vice President (Services), Vice President (Social), Vice President (Culture), Treasurer, Secretary-in-Chief, and Webmaster. President and Vice Presidents are elected officers. Treasurer, Secretary-in-Chief, and Webmaster are appointed by President. The leading committee is composed of the above officers. The committee meetings and the Assembly of WCSSA are called and presided by President.
(2) To be eligible for office, candidates must be students from China and regularly enrolled at Winthrop University. No member can serve on more than one position.
(3) Nominations for office shall occur in the Assembly of WCSSA held on the second Friday of each semester. Oral nominations from the floor build a pool of outstanding candidates for a position in the sequence of candidates for President, Vice President (Academic), Vice President (Services), Vice President (Social), to Vice President (Culture).
(4) Election of each position shall occur immediately after the nominations of this position have been made. A candidate must obtain a simple majority of all voters to win the election.
(5) The term of officers, the leading committee, and faculty advisors is one semester while the summer is considered an extension to the term of spring semester. The term of office shall begin immediately after election and end at the beginning of next semester when new officers are elected. President is limited to serve a maximum of two terms in total.
(6) If a vacancy results in an unexpired term, such vacancy shall be filled by election for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(7) Any officer may be removed from office before the expiration of a term by a two-thirds vote of voting members of WCSSA.
(8) The duties of the officers shall be:
a. President: The President shall call and preside over meetings of the leading committee and the assembly; appoint Treasurer, Secretary-in-Chief, and Webmaster; and serve as the official representative of the Winthrop Chinese Student and Scholar Association to Winthrop University and Rock Hill community.
b. Vice President (Academic): As requested by the President of WCSSA, organize, plan, prepare, and direct events and activities to help Winthrop Chinese students quickly adapt to academic life in the U.S. and, as a result, assist Winthrop University in recruitment and retention of Chinese students.
c. Vice President (Services): As requested by the President of WCSSA, coordinate arrival calendar, airport pickups, and housing to help new Winthrop Chinese students adapt to American society.
d. Vice President (Social): As requested by the President of WCSSA, organize, plan, prepare, and direct events and activities to help Winthrop Chinese students learn American culture, establish and maintain a mutually beneficial relationship with the communities of Rock Hill and Charlotte area to achieve visibility as a good community citizen and gain community support and good will.
e. Vice President (Culture): As requested by the President of WCSSA, introduce Chinese culture to the communities of Winthrop University, Rock Hill, and Charlotte area.
f. Treasurer: Be the sole custodian of all funds belonging to the WCSSA, and keep the records in order and the account book accurate and up to date. The Treasurerís report should be audited at every meeting of the leading committee and a part of the official minutes.
g. Secretary-in-Chief: Take, record, and distribute minutes of each meeting of leading committee and the Assembly.
h. Webmaster: As requested and approved by the President of WCSSA, develop, maintain, and update the WCSSA website.
ARTICLE V FUNDING
(1) The WCSSA shall be funded through the following means: fund-raising activities and university allocations.
(2) All money transactions must be approved by the President of WCSSA and the faculty advisors.
ARTICLE VI MEETINGS
(1) Regular meetings of the WCSSA shall be held the first Friday of each month at 8:00pm.
(2) Special meetings may be called by an e-mail notification from the President of WCSSA.
(3) Agendas for meetings shall be prepared by the President of WCSSA and distributed via e-mail at least 24 hours prior to a scheduled meeting.
(4) A quorum for any regular or special meeting shall be two-third of voting members.
ARTICLE VII POWERS
(1) The WCSSA shall have a leading committee composed of eight members: President, Vice President (Academic), Vice President (Services), Vice President (Social), Vice President (Culture), Treasurer, Secretary-in-Chief, and Webmaster. The leading committee appoints faculty advisors. Faculty advisors are non-voting members of WCSSA and its leading committee.
(2) Additional committees may be created by the leading committee.
(3) The organization shall operate as a non-profit association and no profits may accrue to any individual within the organization.
(4) Unless otherwise provided in these bylaws, decisions of the organization shall be made by a simple majority of those present and voting, with those abstaining from the vote not figuring into the determination of the majority required.
(5) For purposes of any vote, the determination of the current eligible voting membership shall be student members of the WCSSA.
ARTICLE VIII AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
These bylaws may be amended at any regular meeting of the WCSSA by a two-thirds vote, provided that the amendment has been submitted in writing at the previous regular meeting.